Early thoughts about the Honeymoon
One common question that Colin and I get asked a lot is "Where are you going on your honeymoon?" To be honest, we have only given it minimal thought as we have been focusing on the actual wedding itself. A number of other questions come to mind: Should we go on a honeymoon immediately after the wedding or delay the honeymoon until the winter? How long should we go for? Should we have a relaxing type of honeymoon or a more active type of honeymoon?
There are two destinations that are next on our list of places to travel to: Greece and Hawaii. The logical next step would be to do a little bit more research about each place, determine which vacation spot interests us more and then take it from there. Some friends have kindly lent us Hawaii for Dummies, which I have been perusing with a lot of interest...But if you have any tips, ideas or advice that could help us make a decision, please feel free to pass it on!
In the meantime, Colin and I need to renew our passports. I'm a little annoyed because my passport expires in June (i.e. before the wedding and possible name change). So, in the event that I legally change name, I'd have to get a new one after that...what a hassle. Maybe we should have gotten married earlier? :P
4 comments:
Unless you plan to travel before or immediately after your wedding, passport renewal can wait until after your wedding if you have a name change in mind. Granted, passport takes at least 2 weeks (and possibly more, depending on the efficiency of our lovely government), so don't wait unless you want to take on Colin's last name.
I'd say go right after the wedding. You'll still have the newlywed feeling and it would be a deserved trip from all the wedding planning. In terms of where to go well that really depends on what you like for a vacation. Some like to plan each day and see all the tourist attractions. Other just like to be free spirited and relax. Or you can do a bit of both. Personally I like relaxing!
Thanks for your thoughts, Cindy. I guess I had always thought that I should renew my passport before it expires. But nothing precludes me from renewing it after it expires.
I guess I am leaning towards changing my name...and we are also leaning towards going on a honeymoon right away. Hence, my dilemma...
I would renew the passport now, and then worry about when you're going to need to get a new one after the wedding - it might be another year so you may as well put off the expense as long as possible. You used to be able to just get a page added, but I see they don't do that anymore. ;(
And also make sure to book any airline tickets in your maiden name, since you won't be doing all the document changing until after you get back. And I can help you with all of that. :)
(On a side note, I just got a document in internal mail today with your lat name spelled incorrectly - so further reason to consider the switch to Wong.)
As you know, I am also a proponent of going on a honeymoon immediately (or shortly) after the wedding... trust me, you will totally be ready to get away for a bit! I'm partial to Hawaii, cause I've been there and loved it, but also have Greece on my list of places to go... That said, Hawaii might be the right combination of relaxation that you'll need after the big event and adventure: Greece, depending on how you do it, might have a lot more site-visiting, etc. involved ... and you're going to want some beach time. Granted Greece has beaches too... Hawaii is easily done in 1 and a half to 2 weeks - I might give Greece a bit more than that.
Also, looking forward to ACAP! ;)
Post a Comment